6 Incredibly Moisturizing Natural Hair Products From Black-Owned Brands
In keeping with our theme of hooking your beauty up routine during winter, I wanted to share some of my favorite natural hair products that have insane moisturizing properties. During winter, I make sure I stay away from humectants like glycerin (I explain why in the last video) and tend to use heavier products that pack more of a moisture punch.
- Qhemet Biologics Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee — Let me tell you, Qhemet has been giving my hair LIFE this winter. They’re products are so moisturizing and have absolutely amazing ingredients like ayurvedic herbs. They’re the perfect way to get into ayurveda without having to do drawn out treatments and mixing on your own. The Detangling Ghee has become a reclaimed favorite of mine for a leave-in or boost of moisture in between washes.
- Qhemet Biologics Moringa Tree Conditioning Ghee — If you want something lighter than the Detangling Ghee or you have fine hair, the Conditioning Ghee may be the way to go for you. However, even if you have coarser hair, the moisture will still be bomb. I can even use it to slick back a bun in lieu of gel (I mean no, it’s not going to be as slicked down as with gel but it’s soft and smooth).
- Kinky Curly Curling Custard — Even though it’s sticky, I can’t deny that KCCC (the first natural hair product I ever used) gives a great dose of moisture and perfect for winter wash and gos. No drying glycerin and no weird ingredients will help your hair stay moisturized for days. If you have hair that touches your shoulders, you might want to wipe off the excess when your hair is half dry because it will leave a residue.
- Hairizon You Go Curl! Gel — Hairizon’s gel to me is kind of like Kinky Curly’s little sister — a tad lighter but I get similar results. It definitely passed the 3-day hair test during summer and is just as good during winter. You can see my full review below.
- Oyin Handmade Ginger Mint Cowash — This cowash is my new holy grail boo thang, it totally replaced my previous #1 HG, Devacurl Decadence. The thing is, in addition to the awesome moisture, you can detangle with it and it makes my hair feed slightly stronger when I use it. This is great because my hair is color treated. I absolutely love it!
- Miche Indulge Deep Conditioner — We all know that deep conditioning is essential during winter, and Miche’s conditioner will do just that with its blend of emollients and oils. It does contain glycerin, but usually that’s fine even in winter as long as it’s rinsed out. It also used to be called Lush, but don’t get it twisted — the ingredients are the same and still dope.
For additional products and information about winter haircare, you can check out the video below. As you can see, winter haircare is a priority of mine, especially when the dew points are hitting single digits and the wind feels like knives on your face!
What are your favorite moisturizing products from black-owned brands? Leave them in the comments!